2020 The Year I Read 42+ Books 📚📚📚

I asked my son recently what were the things that he most proud of last year, 2020.  He listed down several, including beating Minecraft.

I told him that my greatest achievement, to me, was reading 42 books. That's the most I have ever read during the course of a year in my entire life. I'd like to write more about how reading enriched me, enlightened me, and made me smart and wise and brilliant, but I am too lazy unfortunately.

In short, I am a proud girl now. Here's my 2020 read list. 📚

------ ⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣ -----

JANUARY

2nd book of Mark that I laid my eyes on. Witty and deep at the same time. 

Mukarami is himself so so famous. That's why I feel a bit guilty saying that I don't like his book that much. At least I tried, I can say.

"Simon, Simon, Simon, you never fail to amaze me." In this book, Simon demonstrates his believe that the ability to adopt an infinite mindset is a prerequisite for any leader who aspires to leave their organization in better shape than when they found it.

Seth is everything I look up to for a thinker and a noble man. He wrote about marketing in a very human way, that truly relates, not the textbook kind of way.




------ ⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣ -----

FEBRUARY

A must read for anyone who plans to take an MBA program.

Adam, a marvelous scientist and writer. This is his third book that I read. Next one, Think Again to come. 

This book gave me an extraordinary insight into history, people's suffers and how writing, human connection helped them made through it.




------ ⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣ -----

MARCH

Books about medicine always fascinate me, especially when they come in well-written hands. These stories about open heart surgeries were not just cold and bloody and boring but also full of human touch and emotion and cares.



Latest book of Malcolm Gladwell, and as always, he saw things that we don't see with our normal sapient eyes. The man has a mastermind vision and thinking that can transform social behaviors.
 

Gary is an interesting guy, he talks a lot, full of passion for and to entrepreneurs, specialized on social media and personal branding business. He's raw, un apologetic and the self-made man himself. 


Professor Dan Ariely is not just knowledgeable but also witty and a great story tellers, economy wise. 




------ ⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣ -----

APRIL

Again, medical related books, this time a British nurse with her journey of caring for patients. Beautifully written.






------ ⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣ -----

MAY






------ ⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣ -----

JUNE







------ ⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣ -----

JULY








------ ⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣ -----

AUGUST





------ ⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣ -----

SEPTEMBER





------ ⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣ -----

OCTOBER





------ ⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣ -----

NOVEMBER


So I thought this one is the The Fisherman and the Golden Fish, big time wrong. I like this one, a very different writing style that made you feel like you are so in the mind of the character with all his thought processes and senses out there in between the vast ocean by himself.



One special book. I got this as a gift from a friend-doctor who also values books and brain like I do with very nice handwriting inside. This compliments my Dan Ariely collection, which is perfectly perfect. 


---

This one is so special. Found it in an old bookstore in Saigon after an hour digging around a tight quiet space behind a nice old door with a black cat sticker. The book was a bargain one, which meant I got it at a very juice price. I love this book so much that I shared my reading with my friend doctors, then gave it to one of them as a gift. And he also liked it so much he asked if I could help him get another copy. However, this book is not for everyone.

---

Nicholas Sparks is well-known as a romantic novel writer, this one is such great one of those he beautifully written. Logan Thibault & Beth.

----- ⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣⍣ -----

DECEMBER

None of us was taught how to manage our personal finance properly at school or at home. At best, we got good tutors or mentors. At worst, we are totally clueless. Guidance and advices from this book is rather more on the nature of American economy, most of them are useful in general.

---


Even though we, me and Tom, watched this movie quite long ago, this book still wowed us with its pure joys and kindness and brought a quite different view into a not any less quite different world of a boy who seen as a wonder and his world. 

---

At first I though this book is about easy to understand rules like do not stare at people or pick your nose in public, turned out it was not. This is rather a hard-to-read book with lots of underlying analogies and terminologies and thinking from a great mind as of Prof. Peterson. Worthed very word of it.


It's been a wonderful (reading) year!

T.


Comments

Most Viewed Notes